Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The palatability of stinkhorns.

Most people who eat stinkhorns consume only the stem. The cap apparently smells too strong. Descriptions of the stench include that of rotten meat, old shoes, rubbish can.

I find, however, when harvested at an early mature stage, the cap can act as a great condiment. More interestingly, different types of stinkhorn impart different flavors. One variety, with a narrow elongated cap, no veil, and a lightly brown-tinged stem, gives out a scent reminiscent of dried seafood. I have used it to make imitation Cantonese seafood broth. Another variety, with a stouter cap, a darker cap color, honeycomb-like texture on the cap surface, no veil, white stem, has an astonishingly strong mushroom smell. With some stinkhorns, cream, garlic, nutmeg, and milk, one can make a tasty cream of mushroom.

The pre-mature stage of the stinkhorn has the appearance of small eggs. These can also be used in the above recipes. However, the jelly-like texture of the interior may put some people off. I also would not recommend using the eggs or caps in stir-frying or other dry methods of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment